twitter



The day after my 4th birthday I became a big sister...and boy did I love being a big sister.

Each year my sister and I would celebrate our birthdays on the 9
th, my birth date, to make it easier. If I had four children I think I would do everything I could to simplify as much as possible and I know for myself birthday parties are my least favorite event to host so I never, even as a kid, second guessed my mom's desire to have a joint party. A plus to a joint party is more guests to play with.

My most memorable party as a child was my 6th where my mom had two clowns come and do tricks. It was my first (and maybe only) themed party with matching plates. My memory of that party was thinking I had the best party ever. The funny part is that in the few photos I have from the party the clowns look miserable.



The second most memorable birthday as a child was when I turned 5. I specifically remember thinking that I didn't get very many gifts. My memory of that day was thinking how I would never admit to my family how disappointed I was that I didn't get more gifts. I knew it would be too rude and disrespectful. Now, you ask my mom and she may say that I did voice my opinion but I doubt I did. My boys get more than enough gifts and they are not shy to say they want more. I have seriously had a parenting faux pau at some point and am trying hard to make it right.


My mom always made a big deal about birthdays when we were growing up and I always appreciated it. I have lots of memories of parties with our yellow slip 'n slide and all the discussions that came prior of should we or shouldn't we use the slip 'n slide, it could be dangerous. I didn't know until I was much older that not all families celebrated with big parties like we did.

My family took this joint celebration to the next level as we plowed through adulthood with my older sister's birth date being in the same month. We now do a joint celebratory dinner for all three of us which is handy when you all don't live in the same town.

Reasons unknown to me my parents decided this year that they would take me out to eat on my birthday and then take my younger sister out on her birthday separately but of course we don't do anything alone so my sister came tonight so to me it was like old times. She is turning the big 3-0 which makes me "thirty-something".


As we sat for dinner and two boys at the table were up out of their seats playing with paper airplanes and tossing a drink across the table I looked at this sweet face and wondered how long I could pretend the boys were not my children. And I wonder where I have gone wrong...


I have to give a shout out to some of my friends for taking me to lunch yesterday. We had already planned dinner together the same night so I got lots of girl time. Then to top it off my friend Lisa came over with a bottle of wine and we talked on the deck until 11pm. So really yesterday felt more like my birthday.

Randy bought me spa services which I am using on Saturday. Dane made me a card with a top ten list of reasons he loves his mom. Number one was that I am funny. I laughed and said he is the only person who has ever described me as funny. Dylan informed me that adults do not get gifts for their birthday.

Do you have a favorite birthday moment?

3 comments:

  1. I beat Michelle to comment?!?! Happy Birthday! I love the pictures and the reflecting on the good 'ol days. I'm sorry you got Olive Garden twice from the pics. But I'm jealous anyway! I hope you liked the wine and I'm so thankful I got to hang out and enjoy your company. You are such a special person and I'm grateful for you!!

  1. I also remember Mom always making us feel special on our bdays. My 13th was my favorite b/c she planned a surprise party and then took us all to the movies. Unlike you, I love hosting bday parties, picking a theme, planning the entertainment...
    Go ahead and buy yourself a shirt that says "I had a birthday and all I got from my Missouri sister was an unmailed card, still lying on the kitchen table". Exactly!

  1. This was just the sweetest post. I can't believe, but I don't think I have ever seen little girl pics of you?? They are so adorable and make me think of the little sister that was adopted on My Three Sons - too, too cute! Maybe we can sit down some day and look thru all your little girl pics! I hope you had a wonderful birthday and I thought of you and your 3 boys all day long! hugs!