Randy's birthday is on Valentine's Day so I try to make the day about him as much as I can but he insists on sharing the day with his "valentine". This year I wanted to pull off a surprise for him. It is hard for me to keep secrets from him so for three weeks I have had to find some restraint deep down. This past week seemed to drag on as I waited for Saturday to arrive.
Finally, Friday night arrives and I go to dinner and a movie with my friends Lisa, Tammy and Christon. We ate at Crabby's, one of our favorite pre-movie hot spots with a happy hour that includes half price wine. He's Just Not That Into You was sold out so we watched Confessions of a Shopoholic. It was a cute movie and even on the big screen Isla Fisher had flawless skin. Lisa and I were drooling over her perfect skin instead of her amazing wardrobe. I was so glad to get out of the house before I ruined the surprise.
Apparently my boys take after me. When I arrive home I was greeted by Dylan first. "Mom, whatever you do, don't look under your pillow until tomorrow. " I assured him I won't with a smile and ask, "So, what have you boys been up to?" Dane casually offers up, "Oh, picking out cards and stuff for you."
I found cards next to my coffee creamer, a card with my coffee cups, a card in the pantry and...what is that in my coffee filters...a pair of diamond earrings! I am smiling thinking about how sweet my boys are to me and I go to thank Randy who is still in bed and he says, "Ugh, go brush your teeth". It was like on TV when you have a happy song playing in the background and then it stops abruptly and you hear a record scratching...that was me Saturday morning. I went into the bathroom on the second "brush your teeth" request and shut the door, a little loudly. I reached for my toothbrush and what did I find in a small white box...a heart diamond necklace. I start laughing and giggling.
Here is a look at my necklace. Dane picked it out.We took back the earrings because Randy had bought the same pair for me two Christmases ago. The sales lady got a good laugh over that one. I got a jacket to replace it.
I placed out a little something for the boys at their breakfast spot with balloons and heart plates. The day was all about love and the boys really go into "today is about love".So now for my surprise...I put together a goody bag of Randy's favorite chocolates and a card with a message for him to pack his bag we are staying at the Embassy Suites with dinner reservations at Ruth's Chris. The boys are going to my parents' house. Our boys haven't spent the night at my parents' house in nearly a year so this was a big deal.
Around 3pm we were off for our "date" that would last 20 hours! The Embassy was great and dinner was yummy but the dinner cost more than the hotel stay so that was a neat experience we won't repeat. :)
We took in a late show and saw Taken. Liam Neeson was great in it. We had a great overnight date!
This was the best Valentine's Day I have ever had!
***********************************
I found out this morning that my dear cousin was killed in a car accident on Saturday. I am so sadden by this tragedy. She is one year older than I and when my family would visit Massachusetts every summer where my mother's family lives we were always together hangin' out. She has three young boys who now will grow up without their mother. She was my Aunt's only child. Please keep the family is your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. I will never understand why such things happen but I pray for peace.
Here is a picture of us when we were kids in 1987. We thought we were so cool!
This is when we were a little older (maybe 1990 - my Julia Roberts phase).
This is Ginger with her mom (my Aunt Anita) 1992.





February 15, 2009
Praying that no one loses sight of the "important" surrounding your cousin's passing.
Celebrating your fantastic date! I gave my husband the same for Christmas!