Literally. It has been a while since I looked forward to a Monday morning but today, with birds chirping outside, I welcome it.
We just ended our spring break - the "worst spring break of my life" as Dane put it over and over and over all week. When Dane came home from school on the Friday of the beginning of his spring break he was so concerned with Randy or myself ruining his idea of the perfect spring break. He thought his needs were the only concern and he should be able to do whatever he wanted when he wanted because it was his spring break. He was partially right. His needs were at the top of my priorities but not for the reason he expected. On the second day of his spring break Dane acquired a fever. The third day of his spring break he was diagnosed with Bronchitis. He spent four days of his spring break bed ridden with a fever taking medicine he was sure would kill him. He missed out on a play dates, tennis camp, and lots of video game playing. I spent those four days stressed out, sanitizing the house, listening to a lot of whining, trying to prevent Dylan's seasonal allergies that came on strong from turning into bronchitis, and praying I didn't get sick all while I tried to "work for a paycheck". Dane hasn't had a sick kid visit to the doctor in I believe three years and since January he has had a sinus infection and bronchitis. His doctor said if he wasn't better by Thursday to call into the office. On Wednesday, I gave him Tylenol at 8am, Motrin at 11am and at 11:45 his fever was 103.8. I panicked. After talking with the office twice and the pharmacist once I was able to get his fever down and keep it at 101 the rest of the day. And as the doctor predicted, when he went to bed Wednesday night he had no fever and on Thursday he was almost completely well. I thought my worried mom craze was bad before (just ask our last pediatrician) but since I had a child die from an infection my worried mom craze has went up a few notches.
Dylan never got bronchitis and was able to attend tennis camp without Dane. This was his first camp of any sort he got to attend and he loved it. We start lessons back up this week. The Bella Vista tennis program is so great and the people who run it are so incredible.
Randy rolled his eyes at me all week while I sprayed Lysol all over the house, wiping down the remote control before touching it and sanitizing the bathrooms and kitchen several times a day trying to prevent more illness. On Thursday as Dane was getting better and Dylan's allergies were beginning to calm down Randy became sick. It is Monday and I am still healthy. Look whose laughing now!
On Friday and Saturday we tried to make up for a lousy week. Since I had a big deadline at work on Friday I couldn't take the kids to a movie so my good friend Tammy picked up the boys to see Monsters vs. Aliens with her son, Drake. That evening I met up with friends at Taekwondo for their "bring a buddy" night. The instructors were way cool! We tried Karate a couple years ago and liked it but Taekwondo was better in my opinion. My friends Tammy, Lisa, and Amelia all have boys so it was fun to have all our boys together at the same event. We were together the next day too for Lisa's son Brayden's 9th birthday at Fast Lane. Later in the day the boys spent a couple hours at their grandparents house for some fun. So, the week wasn't a total loss.
To end the "worst spring break" of Dane's life we bought him two hermit crabs. But, in perfect Dane fashion, as he left for school this morning he said I guess we all had a bad spring break except for Dylan.
We just ended our spring break - the "worst spring break of my life" as Dane put it over and over and over all week. When Dane came home from school on the Friday of the beginning of his spring break he was so concerned with Randy or myself ruining his idea of the perfect spring break. He thought his needs were the only concern and he should be able to do whatever he wanted when he wanted because it was his spring break. He was partially right. His needs were at the top of my priorities but not for the reason he expected. On the second day of his spring break Dane acquired a fever. The third day of his spring break he was diagnosed with Bronchitis. He spent four days of his spring break bed ridden with a fever taking medicine he was sure would kill him. He missed out on a play dates, tennis camp, and lots of video game playing. I spent those four days stressed out, sanitizing the house, listening to a lot of whining, trying to prevent Dylan's seasonal allergies that came on strong from turning into bronchitis, and praying I didn't get sick all while I tried to "work for a paycheck". Dane hasn't had a sick kid visit to the doctor in I believe three years and since January he has had a sinus infection and bronchitis. His doctor said if he wasn't better by Thursday to call into the office. On Wednesday, I gave him Tylenol at 8am, Motrin at 11am and at 11:45 his fever was 103.8. I panicked. After talking with the office twice and the pharmacist once I was able to get his fever down and keep it at 101 the rest of the day. And as the doctor predicted, when he went to bed Wednesday night he had no fever and on Thursday he was almost completely well. I thought my worried mom craze was bad before (just ask our last pediatrician) but since I had a child die from an infection my worried mom craze has went up a few notches.
Dylan never got bronchitis and was able to attend tennis camp without Dane. This was his first camp of any sort he got to attend and he loved it. We start lessons back up this week. The Bella Vista tennis program is so great and the people who run it are so incredible.
Randy rolled his eyes at me all week while I sprayed Lysol all over the house, wiping down the remote control before touching it and sanitizing the bathrooms and kitchen several times a day trying to prevent more illness. On Thursday as Dane was getting better and Dylan's allergies were beginning to calm down Randy became sick. It is Monday and I am still healthy. Look whose laughing now!
On Friday and Saturday we tried to make up for a lousy week. Since I had a big deadline at work on Friday I couldn't take the kids to a movie so my good friend Tammy picked up the boys to see Monsters vs. Aliens with her son, Drake. That evening I met up with friends at Taekwondo for their "bring a buddy" night. The instructors were way cool! We tried Karate a couple years ago and liked it but Taekwondo was better in my opinion. My friends Tammy, Lisa, and Amelia all have boys so it was fun to have all our boys together at the same event. We were together the next day too for Lisa's son Brayden's 9th birthday at Fast Lane. Later in the day the boys spent a couple hours at their grandparents house for some fun. So, the week wasn't a total loss.
To end the "worst spring break" of Dane's life we bought him two hermit crabs. But, in perfect Dane fashion, as he left for school this morning he said I guess we all had a bad spring break except for Dylan.
And the kids don't understand why this is funny.





March 30, 2009
I am laughing too just imagining your satisfaction at staying healthy in a sick home. Mom laughs at my hand gel obsession but I haven't had a cold in 3 years. And that's while working around kids and going thru 11 rounds of chemo.