Dane went on another KAMPUS field trip today to Loch Lomond. I found out today that our school is unique in that we go on multiple KAMPUS events unlike other schools in our area because our PE teacher got us a special grant to pay for all the unconventional learning. It was a great event today in spite of the miserable heat. Our teaching staff and mom volunteers do an excellent job organizing these events. In the Bentonville school district we have a lot of parent involvement in the schools' activities. Over the last few months I have gotten to be one of the active moms in the school and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
First they learned about fishing equipment and techniques.
Later the class went fishing.
They met with the Fishery Biologist responsible for all the lakes in Bella Vista. They learned about what is in the lake and how to maintain it so that we all can enjoy using the lakes. They were introduced to the lake mower.
The kids learned how to cook outdoors with a dutch oven.
They made cinnamon rolls.
Another exciting rotation was the Mobile Command Unit for Northwest Arkansas. This unit is very expensive and not something just any community has. I was told Walmart headquarters paid for this unit just in case of emergency.
The kids got to try on some emergency gear.
On top of the unit was a camera and inside the unit were televisions , radios, and lots of other important stuff. We were told if there was an event that required the President to be onsite that this is where he would sit and stay updated.
Inside the silver case was an assortment of fake body parts with injuries for training.
Dane's favorite part was the boat ride and fishing even though he didn't catch anything.







June 02, 2010
I am glad Dane's school sees the importance of learning outside the classroom! What great experiences he his having!