twitter


Until this year Dane had no interest in completing tests for AR (accelerated reader). I have tried for years to get him to complete his goals, attempt to complete goals, and requested the teachers to encourage testing. Each year awards are given and emphasis placed that all students reach their goals but nothing motivated him. Until now. I'm not sure what happened this year but I do know Dane began the year focused on AR testing and never slowed down.  I give credit to his teacher Mrs. Many. Her enthusiasm for reading and recommendations for different book series to Dane was helpful.  He is in the running for one of the top three spots in the fourth grade for highest points.  I'm baffled by this transformation but excited for him. He read so many books that he insisted that there were no other books at school he was interested in by the end of May.  

Today was the party for the students in 2nd through 4th grade who completed their goals all four quarters. The party had a movie star/oscar night theme. The students were photographed and escorted into a movie room where they were given juice, popcorn and candy while watching a movie. It was really fun and well organized. Dane certainly thought he should have taken this AR testing more seriously in 3rd and 2nd grade so he could have skipped part of the school day for a party like this.  I volunteered to be a paparazzo for the party.




I am so glad I had the ability to be involved in the school activities with the boys this year. It allowed me to meet other moms and get to know the boys' teachers better than I would have if I were working for a paycheck.  Most of all, I was able to be a witness to their life at school.  Fourth grade is a big deal with lots of activity to help transition the kids to middle school.  I am so grateful that I didn't miss out.  When I was in Joplin with Declan all I needed from others was a witness to what we were going through. What we all need from our spouses, family and friends is another person to walk with as a witness to our life and vice versa; a partner, a confidant. I want to be that person for the human beings I grew in my body and birthed. I enjoy watching them grow as people in spite of the moments of frustration and disappointment that comes along like a side dish that you didn't order. If they can't count on me, then who could they count on?

0 comments: