Team Brayden showed up today to donate blood in Brayden Jones' name. Get a group of girls together and they can turn anything into a Girl's Night Day Out.
Brayden's original goal when the blood drive was set was to get 50 people to set an appointment and donate blood. I hear that 64 people donated today!
I haven't given blood since 1993. I was a little nervous. I'm the girl who has fainted in the dentist's office, obgyn's office, and after shutting my fingers in a car door. I had a panic attack when having my c-section. I was not the first to jump for joy when I hear that a blood drive was scheduled but I was one to sign up the first day we could schedule appointments. This is me, loving Lisa and Brayden and thrilled I'm still alive.
My blood drained quickly. Under four minutes. Good thing the Cullens weren't around. I'd be toast. We are fairly certain the needle ended up in an artery instead of a vein. It didn't seem to be a good sign when two Red Cross staffers bent over immediately and start whispering about the color of my blood. This is how it went down after some painful poking of the needle in my arm...
Me: Is something wrong?
Staff: No, everything is fine. More whispering and staring at blood.
Me: I heard you say something about the color of my blood. Is something wrong with my blood? Mind racing wondering what fatal disease I may have. Have you met Ms. Hypochondriac?
Staff: Well, it is a bright red. Usually it is darker.
Me: What does that mean? What does that mean?
Staff: If we go in through an artery the blood will be a brighter shade of red but it seems to be getting darker now.
Me: Image of Declan getting his artery dug into trying to get blood when his body wouldn't release blood through a vein because it was holding onto every ounce possible comes to my mind. I knew what it meant. What happens if you are in an artery?
Staff: You'll fill the bag much faster.
Me: Oh. Image of me bleeding out in room 120. I'm not feeling well. I really think I may pass out.
Well, I didn't pass out. I don't know how, but I didn't pass out. I thought of Stacy and Rebecca from the birthing center in Freeman West Hospital as I mentally tried to talk myself through not hyperventilating as the sweet staff member put cold compresses on my forehead and neck and gave me lots of encouragement to keep my eyes open. I had flashbacks of my c-section. It took three people (I think - I couldn't look) to finish my blood donation.
I felt very happy eating my Krispy Kreme donut knowing it was over and hoping it will be another sixteen years before I experience that again.
I have to post this picture because it makes me laugh so hard to think about it. We all are enjoying our lack of blood high at the sweets table and Amelia comes up to take our picture for Brayden and Lisa. Tammy says two seconds before that she wasn't feeling well suddenly. Amelia is trying to situate us for the photo saying, "Tammy, turn around smile." Tammy says, "I'm really not feeling well." Amelia says, "Smile!" and snaps the picture. I have no idea why this makes me laugh so hard but it does.
Tammy, myself, Doris and Jean pictured above.
Amelia (on left) and Brayden's Grandmother.
This is Kathie getting her blood drawn from a special machine because she has good blood.
Anita & Doris
The 64 people who showed up today and was able to donate will make a difference in someone's life.










