twitter


Dane likes to know what is going to happen. He does not like surprises. He doesn't even like non-surprises, like life happening without a plan.  We are working on changing this thought process by focusing on the excitement of not knowing what might happen next. But, because of his inflexibility we have had many embarrassing moments where Dane will say things that sound rude when someone surprises him with a gift or changing plans.  I blame this on the Babywise book but I would much rather have this issue to deal with than a baby who isn't on a schedule for optimal brain development and sleep patterns.

Last night Dane couldn't stand it that 1) he had to go to school 2) he was having two tests at school on his birthday (as if this was the worst thing that could happen) 3) he didn't know if he was getting the gift he wanted or any gift at all.  I asked him to pick out his favorite restaurant and we'd go out to eat, whatever he wanted. It was too overwhelming for him and he said he just wanted his birthday to be like any other day.  He told me earlier in the day that he didn't want a gift in the morning (if he was getting one) because if he died he'd be sad that he never got to play with whatever he got. I told him he was morbid.  At bedtime he told me that if he was getting a gift he did want it in the morning in case he died so at least he'd know what he got for his birthday. I told him he was morbid. 

This morning we made him his favorite breakfast.
 We presented him with THE gift he wanted but in a big box to disguise it.
He was very happy and the book was a bonus.
He didn't even ask for a special cake so Randy picked this one out. It was very cool!


On the way to school I told him about the day he was born and how it was the best day of my life. I told him how the weather was warm enough for us not to need a coat and I was only in pain for 1.5 hours but how those minutes were torture. I told him how the cord was wrapped around his neck and the doctor was very serious about delivering him safely. I told him how I had watched scary baby shows with doctors using suction cups incorrectly and causing problems so when the doctor said he needed to use one I panicked but the nurse looked me straight in the eye and said if she didn't trust the doctor with the device she wouldn't be in the room. I told him how his Aunt Donna and Grammie were in the room when he was being born.  He thought that was gross.  I assured him Aunt Donna thought so too and nearly fainted and had to leave the room a few times. I told him how his dad called his mom the moment he was born so she could hear his first cry.  

It was the best day of my life.

Back before digital cameras, this was the picture Randy took with a Polaroid camera and scanned to email to our family and friends.

Happy 11th Birthday my sweet Dane. 


You are more handsome than I ever imagined, smarter than I could have ever dreamed, more caring than I ever hoped for, and healthier than I ever prayed for.  One day we will be the best of friends.

0 comments: