twitter


Saturday was Dane's first bowling tournament locally. We signed up to get the experience before we do a big tournament in Little Rock later this spring. Dane wanted to go until the day came of course. This happens every time Dane commits to something.

I had the opportunity to see Angie Smith at a speaking event in town and also a scrap event my sister, Donna, was hosting. Not to mention the pile of laundry in the bathrooms, school papers everywhere, my work had also invaded the dining room, the dust, the expired food in the fridge, a body that feels like it is coming down with a bug, a Netflix movie that needed to be watched before I left town, Dane's first overnight field trip to prepare for and a four day work trip to pack for me. Don't you hate it when it seems like you have nothing going on for weeks and then everything happens at once?

I had a choice to make.  

I always put my kids' activities before my own needs and desires so this weekend I entertained the idea that I could skip this tournament to see Angie speak or put off my errands and tasks to scrapbook.  In the end I decided I had a commitment to go with Dane to see him in his first tournament and also deliver bowling pictures to parents.  I remember the numerous events I was involved in as a kid that I had to tag along with my friends' parents because my parents didn't feel the need to attend. So really, I could justify in my head skipping the tournament but in the end I couldn't do it.

Once I made the decision I was resolved and wasn't sorry about my choice. When Dane broke his record high score I was so thrilled for him and my decision to attend. I'm very close to my kids and I know the excitement of him bowling his all time high game of 134 would have been lost on anyone but me. He also knocked down a split which was a first for him.
It wasn't that I was proud of his accomplishments as much as it was watching him begin the tournament shy and nervous to come out of his shell and be so excited at what he had done.
I used my camera phone for these shots and all the while wishing I had brought my good camera.

Choices. Dane may not remember in 10 years about his first bowling tournament but I'll remember the choice I made and in that moment it was the best decision I could have made for my son. If I hadn't been there would his memory of that day be different? That is the question I am glad I won't need to answer.

The day ended and I had a lot done from my task list but not everything. My house is still a mess and I look around this morning thinking how mortified I'd be in someone dropped in for a visit but I realized my life hasn't crumbled because I have dust in my house, dirty sinks or school papers cluttering my counter tops.


0 comments: