twitter



It has been a bit crazy at work lately. By crazy I mean a huge project with a tight deadline. When I say a huge project I mean one that would normally take a month, I needed to complete in eight days.  Did I mention it was the first time I did this type of project in this magnitude?

It was to my advantage when I was snowed in and could work in the basement quietly, uninterrupted and a husband who prepared dinner every night giving me every possible minute I could steal to work. The boys were home six of those days so I had a lot of guilt for not spending more time with them.

I woke on Saturday morning with a heavy chest and filled with the anxiety that a nightmare brings. I rolled over, picked up my phone and read 5:43am. Ugh. I was so upset from the dream, I didn’t think I’d make it back to sleep.  I was confused because I didn’t remember running from danger in my dream so what was so upsetting… and then it came back to me.

The first thing I remember is driving Dane to a field trip on a Saturday. I pulled up to a building that looked a lot like the band building in the elementary/middle school/junior high/high school that I went to. When I pulled up to the meeting location I stopped, Dane got out and went into the building. There were no other people around. I didn’t go in to talk to the teacher about the trip. I drove away without another thought. I was preoccupied with other activities I was double booked for. 

I went to my next destination at the bowling alley where my mom was waiting. She asked about Dane’s field trip. Where is he going? When does he come back? I then realized I had no idea. I did not know where he was going or when I was supposed to pick him up.  I didn’t even ask him if he had his phone with him when I left him at a building that I now second guessed as the right drop off location since I didn’t see anyone else. 

I went home after the bowling activity to read the field trip slip on the refrigerator.  It said that the kids were going on an airplane to a nature destination and would eat lunch as soon as they arrived. They were to bring a lunch and some other things. I had not packed Dane a lunch. I left him at a building with nothing. No backpack. No lunch. Nothing. He didn’t know he was going on an airplane and he needs to know these things in advance. I was frantic in the dream not knowing if he would go all day without eating. What if the teacher didn’t have an extra lunch? 

I woke up in a sweat.

I did go back to sleep and when I woke up later I told Randy about the dream. He said sincerely, "That is a mother's nightmare." And that is why I love him. He totally gets me.


1 comments:

  1. I am stunned to read this post b/c I too woke up Sat morning with a terrible feeling b/c I had a nightmare dream about Megan. In reality, she had dropped her phone outside the day before and the neighborhood dog chewed it up. I told her I would not buy her another phone for awhile. In the dream, she was lost at an airport with no phone. So when I woke up, I immediately went online and bought her a new (used) phone. I can't believe we both had similiar experiences in the same night.