twitter



I was watching a few minutes of Dr. Phil today and I heard something that was beautiful music to my ears.  First I want to say I don’t normally watch Dr. Phil and why I happened to be watching today is another story for another day.  Secondly, I love it when I hear from a professional that I have actually been doing something right while stumbling through this thing we call parenting.  I am no where near a perfect mother and on most days I strive to achieve a satisfactory status and other days I pray DHS doesn’t show up.

Today Dr. Phil addressed a mother who proudly stated that she has never left her 7 and 9 year old overnight.  I have the belief that going away with your husband or girlfriends on weekend or week long getaway is a healthy practice.  I have traveled a lot in my 10 years of parenting for business and pleasure. Do my kids like that I leave? No. Do they understand I will be back? Yes.  Do they have a good sense of independence? Yes.

I have always believed that it is important for our children to see that I am a person who has hobbies and an identity outside the box of ‘mom’.  Do you have to leave your children to show them this? Absolutely not.  If there is no reason to leave your children then you don’t need to create a reason but for those who want to, I’m their biggest cheerleader.  I am an important role model in my boys’ life and everything I do I have in the back of my mind a voice that contemplates how it will affect their perception of a wife, mother, and friend.  I am not raising children; I am raising men.  It’s a big responsibility.  I judge others very little now that I have my own children but when Dr. Phil agrees with my view on any subject I am thrilled. It is important to show children we are not only a diaper changing cook but someone who can leave and come back to them.

Now, if only he could agree that allowing your child's bedroom to look like a tornado blew through would help them grow to be responsible adults I'd be in excellent shape.

0 comments: