twitter


Here it is for those who don't know...Four days before Christmas I became a casualty of the changing environment in Northwest Arkansas. I found myself without a job. I've been working since before it was legal for me to do so. I have earned my own money for more than two decades so to find myself dependent upon someone else is a big, hard to swallow cup of guilt. Especially when my family is accustomed to a certain way of life. I've been wanting to write about this for a while now but just couldn't bring myself to put it out there. Until today. Filing for unemployment for the first time in my life was humbling to say the least.

So, today I had a new experience to check off my list of resolutions. I filed for unemployment. Yay for me! Can you read the sarcasm?

It's been a month so I have already went through all the emotions that come with losing a job but mostly I am embracing it. I'm relishing in the extra free time and opportunity to think outside the box and consider a new career. It helps that I have a husband who is thrilled for me to not have to work and travel so that I can focus on being a wife, mother, and whatever else I want to be. I've brainstormed lots of ideas on what I could do with my life in between the anxiety that my next move could make or break us for our future retirement.

So there it is, what I have been itching to say for a few weeks now.  We are selling our house truly in an effort to be more responsible and save money so if I decide to work part time we can still take vacations and enjoy a comfortable life.  We have money put aside for emergency situations and we are financially stable and will be just fine even if our house never sells. We reacted immediately to the news by doing everything we can to ensure our stability lasts.  I loved my carefree life that included not knowing what the price of milk or bread was but really it wasn't the most responsible way to live.

This experience has done a much better job at teaching my kids the value of a dollar than any of my previous speeches. When they hear us discussing which brand is less expensive or how to make a meal for under $10 (which is my specialty) they get it. It's difficult to teach your kids appropriate usage of money when you spend it so frequently. 

So, there it is -  a belly full of pride.

2 comments:

  1. I hate to read that this happened at all, but especially right before Christmas! That just doesn't seem right, and don't even get me started on fair!

    Please do not "swallow" your pride! Look at what you have accomplished in your lifetime. Not only have you given birth to 3 boys that I cannot imagine not having had in my life, you have been a wonderful friend and wife to the brother that was the first love of my life. I feel like you are my friend and my sister!

    I know how smart and strong you are and that you will figure this out! Plus, you have Randy and all the rest of your family and friends right here ready to help in any way! I love you, Anita

  1. I have enjoyed reading your recent posts even though the subject is so heartbreaking and difficult. I hate that you are having to endure this unfair journey. Like I have said before, your positive and upbeat personality is going to land you your next big career opportunity and for the present time, this will be a learning experience that you will never forget and only help you down the road. But what a blessing to step back and take the extra time you need to care for your family. Some days I would give so much for a little less time and energy spent on my job and more of it dedicated to my family.

    Shawna