twitter


My sister Michele has done something so very special that I want to share it with you.  Michele has donated her wedding dress (yes I meant to type wedding dress) to a wonderful charity who takes the fabric from the dress to make burial gowns for infant loss when the babies are too small for traditional clothing.  You should read her blog post with photos of her dress here. I won't say more because she says it perfectly. The charity is called The Mary Madeline Project. 

I love charities. Big charities, small charities, I love them all. Have you ever really sat and thought about specific charities and why someone would take the time to create one and stick to it long enough to watch it grow? I can't think of one charity that I have heard of that was started from anything but hope. You know I adore hope. Can't live without it. Hope frequently comes from a place of grief. It was hope that helped generate my own charity. Hope for something better.

I've made an effort to support a variety of charities in the last year. I've learned of so many that I didn't know existed before I experienced our son's hospitalization then infant loss. I encourage others to find a cause worth putting hard earned cash or valuable time to.  I like to chose a charity that touches someone close to me or a cause that I think is unique and special. Michele chooses a different charity each year to donate to in honor of Declan in lieu of the gifts he would have received for Christmas or his birthday. It warms my heart each time she does it not just because it is something done to honor Declan's short life but knowing the donation is helping some anonymous family because of Declan's short life. It really is amazing how many people are out there working to help make a difference in a stranger's life. It just reminds me that we are all here for whatever reason that may be crossing paths in this crazy life. We might as well do it with as much grace and love as we can.   

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh...now it's your turn to make ME cry! We seem to rotate on a weekly basis!

  1. I had read Michele’s blog after I saw her FaceBook post. It did amaze me and I actually have reflected on it many times since that first read. I really feel that her daughters will remember the extraordinary experience of wearing that wedding dress for that short time on that day, hopefully with it meaning even more than if having walked down the isle in it themselves. Although this act of “charity” in donating her wedding dress was awe-inspiring, the lesson she taught her daughters is immeasurable. Can you imagine the good that will come from living a charitable life and teaching the children in this world to do the same? I now understand one of the reasons why our precious Declan was taken from us, as all he touched have become so “charitable” in this fast-paced world, where we may not have taken time otherwise to think of it this way if not for the lesson he left us. luv, Anita