twitter


Dinner is my favorite time of day.  I love sitting around the table with Randy and the boys talking about our day.  During dinner on Sunday evening Dane told me that he told his Sunday school teacher when communion was brought in that since it represented Jesus, if he took it, it would make him a vampire and a cannibal.  I laughed knowing this was such a classic Dane moment.

There is never a dull moment at church. I can't remember the last time Dylan has been because he manages to show himself off each time. One of the last incidents was when the minister had the kids at the front of the church discussing remembering Jesus by giving examples on how we try to remember to do things like brushing our teeth. Dylan exclaims in front of the congregation, "Oh, I don't forget, I just lie."  Our minister and the rest of the congregation all turned to look at me while bursting into laughter. 

This week Dylan had after school detention on Monday. No, detention doesn't actually exist in elementary school anymore, they started it just for Dylan. Apparently Dylan didn't feel like doing school work on Monday and spent his day avoiding work and instead, he spent a large part of the day reading his book.  I showed up after school to make sure he did his work since school staff aren't allowed to do what it takes to get a child to cooperate in this decade because a parent might sue them for mistreatment. (sorry, I digress) I walked in to find Dylan reading with his school books packed in his backpack and an assistant principal not willing to have a power struggle. I snatched the book from his hands set it aside and proceeded by handing him the papers he was to finish with a few stern words to get his starter going. It was simple.  We walked out with completed work packed back up within 15 minutes.  I'm getting to the funny part. On one of Dylan's papers he avoided completing during the day he was to write his vocabulary words and their definitions.  This task is torture to an ADHD child. On the back of the paper Dylan wrote this...

I held my laughter in until I was able to show Randy the paper so we both could laugh 'til we cried. 

Why wouldn't Dylan just do the work for the assistant principal? Who knows but it didn't help that she called his book a "comic book" when he says it is NOT a comic book. He's just a pain in the you-know-what sometimes.

Dane was mortified to be sent to the principal's office today for starting what would have eventually progressed into a food fight at lunch. This was his first trip EVER to the principal's office. Not only was he traumatized by the idea the assistant principal would think he was "taking after his brother" but his good friend's dad came in and saw that he was in trouble. This was definitely a moment where I could say, "Dane, this hurts me way more than it hurts you."   

I'll be expecting the parent of the year award any day now from our assistant principal.

3 comments:

  1. Dont you just wonder what goes on in their minds!! They both just crack me up. Love you guys, Donna

  1. The boys just crack me up. You just wonder what is going on in their minds. Donna

  1. okay, I just may have to make a t-shirt using this picture! In fact, it could really be the Richards' family logo! luv, Anita :)