twitter


Last night I made a super healthy yummy meal but I was the only one who loved the meal. Randy wouldn't finish his portion; he hated it that much. Does anyone else have this problem? He appreciated the preparation and understood that nothing was wrong with how I made the meal.  He just didn't like it. He hated the texture of the rice and the flavor of the chicken.  I should have said it was unhealthy and he may have convinced himself he liked it.  To Randy, healthy means bad tasting.  I'm not exaggerating.

Look at how beautiful it turned out...



Each day over the past several days I have taken something from the Doctor Oz website to improve our lives so that we are living in a healthier way. I was surprised at how good this meal tasted. Unfortunately since my self challenge began the two words Doctor Oz is uttered with angst at the dinner table now.  I don't understand why they can't get on board with the idea of living a healthy lifestyle.

Here is the recipe for The Kitchen Diva's Lemon Chicken with Asparagus 

Ingredients
Serves 4
4 (4-oz each) skinless, boneless, chicken breasts (You can also use 4 (4-oz) skinless fish fillets instead of chicken in this recipe.)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 red bell pepper, stem removed, seeded, and diced
1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock or water
2 cups cooked brown rice or whole wheat couscous

Directions
Rinse the chicken under cold water. Pat the pieces dry with food-safe paper towels. Season the chicken with the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.

In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet. Cook the chicken about 5 minutes. If you are using fish, adjust the cooking time to 3 to 4 minutes per side. Turn the pieces over and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in the garlic and the red pepper. Add the asparagus and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the zest and the chicken stock or water and turn the heat to low. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately over hot rice or couscous.

COPYRIGHT 2008 © ANGELA SHELF MEDEARIS, THE KITCHEN DIVA!

If your family is more adventurous than mine they will love this. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Scott loves all veggies but he refuses to give up white bread and white pasta. It's frustrating for me!

  1. Linda,
    Can you email me with your location? arkansasbloggers@sbcglobal.net. Thanks a bunch.