twitter


We took the boys to Silver Dollar City last Friday.  It was a beautiful day, with just the right amount of sunshine to enjoy a day outdoors. This is our first year to buy season passes. We typically are planning a big vacation and focus our resources on making that one trip a memorable one.  This year we decided it would be nice to spread out the fun over several months and with ticket prices for SDC so cheap this year we couldn't resist. Friday was a busy day at the park but we had fun in spite of long lines.  

Dane bumped into two of his friends at the park and they talked him into riding Wildfire with them.  This was Dane's first upside down roller coaster experience. I was surprised he didn't back out at the last minute. Dylan was not tall enough for the ride so Randy rode with Dane and his friends while I took Dylan to another section of the park. Before parting ways we all walked to Wildfire together and it occurred to Dane quickly that his friends were without parental supervision.  He looked flabbergasted at his friends and said, "Where are your parents?" Both boys proudly exclaimed they were on their own because, "We have a cell phone." The look Dane gave me was both pitiful and spiteful all in one expression.

When Dane's friends were with us Dylan let go of my hand and told me, "I don't need you to hold my hand anymore." This was after a couple hours of constant hand holding. He walked with Dane's friends as though they were his friends, acting so cool.  When we parted ways to go to the other side of the park Dylan resumed holding my hand through the crowds.

Later in the day we were discussing Dane's friends being on their own in the park with a cell phone.  The discussion led to another reason from Dane as to why he should be able to have a cell phone and this discussion always leads to this, "Mira got a phone when she was three!" This is joined with my eye rolling. 

Is it time to loosen the strings from Dane? Is ten years old enough to be let loose in a theme park with a cell phone? SDC seems to be a very safe place to run around. I tried to remember at what age was I allowed to roam a park unsupervised before cell phones. I went to an overnight camp at this age, something Dane hasn't done yet. Randy insisted he was younger than Dane when he was allowed on his own. 

Has the media scared me into holding on too long? I would love to know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. My first thought is "no, no, never let go of the hands of my little golden boys!" But I can also see if they are in a group of friends that a cell phone is good - teach them speed dial! I have also thought about those 2-way radios, but those would depend on range and distance I suppose. Probably better for a mall. A cell phone that has a pager type system would be great too! I don't think 10 is too young for independence and would really boost his self esteem and social skills I'm sure, when he is on his own. I just really don't want either of them to grow up this fast! I totally trust you Linda and know that you will have that gut feeling that tells you when the boys are ready! Love, Anita

  1. You know I am all about letting Megan be independent but I would not let her alone or with 2 friends in a theme park even with a cell phone. I know some people thought we were crazy for letting Megan get a cell phone at age 9 and maybe it wasn't the right choice but I didn't care. I wanted to give her one.
    Now Emily is a different story, when it comes to independence. She won't be allowed to roam anywhere until she's 18 cause if I take my eyes off her for 5 min, she might be in the car headed for Hollywood.

  1. I think 10 is too young. We were at SDC when my oldest was 10 and I felt bad letting him go to the bathroom with his older (though disabled) brother. I think 10 is totally too young to run around in a pack of boys...think of the things boys on their own could dream up! or space out over! But, then, I worry that I hold them too close too...
    Amy H