I love going on field trips with my kids so that I can see what other kids are like and how my boys compare. Are they more obnoxious, less so, the cutest kid in the class, etc.? Well, that isn't the real reason I like to go. I actually like hanging out with them in a setting where I'm not the authority figure. I was actually surprised that Dane wanted me to go today. I know the day will come where a mother hanging around will be embarrassing so I took my chance - it may be my last. I was the only mom at the field trip which made me popular. The kids respond well to the adult that isn't the authority figure too. When I snapped a few photos they really started hamming it up. I smiled thinking about when I was a 5th grader and how obscenely obnoxious I think I was. That was the year I cut my own bangs and learned a very valuable lesson on the length of dry hair versus wet hair.
I thought all the kids were pretty typical in their behavior and respectful considering past field trips I've been on but the volunteer who toured us around just didn't have the patience for them. I laugh thinking about how out of the blue we'd hear eager boys yelling, "squirrel!" as if seeing a squirrel was the rarest creature in a garden.
My favorite moment was when Dane's teacher told the kids to settled down or they'd be walking with her holding her hand the rest of the field trip.
While on the field trip I remembered being there with Dane five years ago. They even passed around an osage orange just like they did before.
I found a photo of Dane with the osage orange when we went in 2005.
It was nice to get outside and wander around in nature for an hour. I feel so blessed to have been able to get bonus time with Dane.








