Where to start....
Let's first start by saying my sister Michele and I decided we will never commit to anything promised on a hot summer day in a pool with a beer. I'm just thrilled we only committed to a two day craft fair. I don't know where we went wrong but somehow we went from trying to talk Donna out of repeating the craft fair to joining her.
The craft fair in Northwest Arkansas is going on right now. Five days of crafting spread out all over the area. Thousands of people are in town for it. My sisters and I were at the John Q. Hammons facility for two twelve hour days. I was very optimistic on day one in spite of few sales. I stayed positive and enthusiastic for 12 hours. I did not have competition for my specific items. Statistically speaking it made sense that I would sell out. My first sale was at 9:20am and most people thought the t-shirts and notepad designs were very funny. I enjoyed hearing laughter all day from the craft fair shoppers lookers. This laughter carried me through the day even if cash wasn't exchanging hands as often as I wanted. I was surprised by how many adults related to the t-shirts and wanted larger sizes. I also met some parents of strong-willed or ADHD children. I was also surprised by how many people thought this shirt was funny.
I didn't think anyone would really get it but I was wrong. People really laughed and some totally got the humor or knew a child who would say such a thing. The people I told the story behind the shirt really loved it. I couldn't make this stuff up, it had to come from somewhere.
I could have sold this t-shirt if I had had larger sizes for the adults. The women got such a kick out of this shirt.
There were people who made faces or turned their noses at the shirts. Some who clearly have not experienced life with a strong-willed or hyperactive child. I met some people who had survived life with a hyperactive child and is on the other side. They had a look on their face that was true survival. It is a look I get when people talk about grief or losing a close family member. Your eyes gloss over as you are flooded by memories and knowing you survived the worst of it. I can't get out of my mind a couple I met for just a minute and the looks on their faces as we exchanged pleasantries over the t-shirts and that they have five sons, three were hyperactive.
Day one shoppers were buying very little and seemed to be on a mission. They were more interested in repeating the crafts themselves instead of buying.
Day two was a different story. The shoppers were friendly, more relaxed and buying more. I was fighting off a head ache all day which didn't help my tolerance of low sales. I was fearful of the amount of money I spent preparing for the craft fair and what might be left over at the end of the day. I am soooo thankful for friends who came to support me either in person or pre-ordering.
I have no idea if what I sold was an average amount for craft fair of two days or not. I know it isn't what I wanted or needed to sell but it isn't like my product will expire anytime soon so I will eventually use it, sell it, or give it away.
My sisters and I kept up with crazy questions we were asked, crazy people we saw, crazy things we heard, etc. The most memorable question I received was from a women who clearly didn't buy into the doctors diagnosis of ADHD. Her question to me was, "You don't give your son that medicine do you?" After our conversation she left me with a piece of parting advice. "You challenge that son of yours." I didn't get offended because I know when I open the door to my life and the choices I have made through blogging, the ADHD support group, my charity, or the craft fair merchandise I have to expect criticism and opinions.
So, I wouldn't do the craft fair again but I'm not going to regret doing it. I just mark it down as one of the two things I have tried this year that I won't repeat.






October 17, 2010
I can't shake the feeling of "did I really just spend 2 days silently begging people to buy my stuff"