twitter


Week 2 of the Total Transformation Program is about ineffective parenting roles. It is appropriately titled "Why won't my child listen to me?" Seven descriptions of ineffective parenting roles are talked about in detail.  We fall into two of those seven and sometimes dip our toe in two others on occasion.  

I learned that by lowering my standards on what my expectations are out of frustration tells Dylan that I don't think he can do "it". Whatever it might be. For example: When I give up after numerous tries at getting him to clean his room and instruct him that he can do it tomorrow.  Another example: When I tie his shoe laces because its faster than requiring him to do it.

All other topics were no surprise to me even if I fall into the pit of these ineffective tools on occasion.  It was nice to hear what I already know reiterated to me in a different way.  Our homework for the week is to write down when we see ourselves use ineffective parenting for the first few days and the second half of the week to change that behavior.  We were told to expect resistance and the new strategy may not have immediate success.  We were given instruction for what not to do associated with our identified ineffective roles.

Wish me luck!

0 comments: