In August of 2007 my sister Michele began her battle with colon cancer at the age of 36. Up until her diagnosis I lived in a world where bad things didn't happen to me or my family. I can't speak for her but in my mind it was a dark time. I cannot imagine how terrible the treatments were but I know they were very bad. I was somewhat sheltered living so far away and she always put on a brave face when we were together. She has been living cancer free since 2008 and I am so proud to call her a survivor. What a lot of people don't know is that having cancer doesn't end on your last treatment - there are many lasting affects and reminders (physically and emotionally).
I will never forget the Thanksgiving of 2007 when we were all together. I felt guilt that she sat at the table struggling with the unknown of her illness. I also felt so much appreciation for my life and blessings. I remember being overwhelmed with gratitude and happiness. My boys and I were healthy and well provided for. We had everything we needed and more. We had a new life growing in my body and all seemed right in my small corner. Having my sister across the table was a grounded reminder that everything can change in a second and to hold on to the blessings you have - to be present in your life.
It wouldn't be right for me to write about how difficult cancer is on someone or their families so what I want to do is remind you how important it is that you are attentive to your health. The way my sister's diagnosis played out is an amazing story about seemingly random events lining up perfectly in order to save her life. Colon cancer is one of the few cancers that is preventable and curable. Any change in your body's behavior should not go unchecked.
I think I've heard the phrase before don't let yourself die from embarrassment which is very fitting for colon cancer prevention.
Click here for more information on colon cancer. Click here to read my sister's journey beginning at her first post in 2007.






March 11, 2011
How fitting that I just read this post. I was scrapbooking tonight and came across pics from Christmas 2007. I remember wondering if that would be my last Christmas.
Thanks for the shout-out for colon cancer awareness.
Love ya'
Michele