When I worked from home I was eager for a weekend just to get out of the house but now that I work out of the house (for the first time in over seven years) I just want a weekend to relax and enjoy being home. Randy works from home so we are off balance once again. He wants to get out on weekends just like I wanted to all those years. Today with the weather so beautiful it was impossible to stay home.
I have been so tired this week in the evenings and fell asleep again on the sofa last night. I was glad I had because I didn't get much sleep once bedtime actually came. Dylan had trouble sleeping which was a first; he kept waking up moaning of stomach pain. I worried all night and got up with him, laid down with him, tried some over the counter medicine trying to guess what could be causing it because with him you just never know. He has swallowed non-food items in the past, he tries lifting objects that are too heavy, he takes prescription medication so my mind was going crazy with all the what-ifs. The gas medicine didn't fix it. The Ibuprofen didn't fix it. He is not a complainer so after 12 hours of complaining I was ready for the doctor to run a long list of tests. I had a speech laid out in my mind in order for them to take me seriously so they wouldn't just blow it off as a "tummy ache". I had visions of intestinal blockage thinking of Declan and my friend Vanessa's nephew so I was in the right mind set to go in and do some convincing. My nightmare is that it would be something serious that I didn't take seriously and his words spoken no less than a half dozen times, "Mom, help me" would haunt me forever. Right as I was finishing up getting ready to take Dylan to the doctor this morning he said the five words that actually made me irritable. "My stomach doesn't hurt anymore." I had a mixture of relief of course and disgust in myself for getting so worked up over it. Why do I let myself worry so much, was my thought right before I thought that it was too late to go back to bed. He hasn't complained the rest of the day so I guess it was just a tummy ache.
Dane and I watched The Picture of Dorian Gray on TCM before heading to bowling while Dylan went back to bed and slept peacefully. The movie sparked an interesting moral discussion on the way to the bowling alley. Only a few more weeks of bowling and we'll be full force into tennis again. I spent an hour discussing child diagnosis, medications, support, therapy, school, behaviors, etc. with a dad of another bowler in the league. It was a discussion I really needed to have with a more experienced parent who could relate to what we are going through.
I would have loved to have gone home after bowling and napped but we had a family day planned. Lunch, movie, and shopping. As we left the house it crossed my mind that I spend most of my weekends either dealing with responsibilities or going along with whatever the boys want to do. I want a day where I get up and just decide in the moment what I feel like doing with no other nagging thoughts of what I should be doing.
We saw the movie Rango which was a good movie but we thought written for adults. We stopped in at the Borders going out of business sale and found lots of empty shelves. The pickings were slim but I found some photography books and the boys got some stuff.
I do have some exciting activities to look forward to. My sister Michele and her family will be here next weekend making their purchase of a condo down the road from me official. While she is here we are releasing balloons at the cemetery for Declan. I'm also making a special delivery to the hospital in Joplin next Saturday in memory of the anniversary of Declan's birth three years ago. We went to Hobby Lobby for the boys to pick out flowers and something special to take to the cemetery.
I'm planning a wine tasting party for a girls night out event at our house in a few weeks. My friend Lisa hosted one a few years ago and she asked me if I had enough glasses. I counted tonight and found 17 wine glasses in my cabinet. That seems excessive (ya think?) and I don't know how I managed to acquire so many. This is one event I hope I can properly host, sample and photograph!
Dane goes to Little Rock next month to bowl in a tournament so we may fit in some fun activities while there. We also booked a summer vacation in St. Petersburg which should be fun since we haven't been there before. We need to make some decisions on therapy for Dylan soon as well.
We seem to have a lot on the calendar in the coming months. Sigh.




