Yesterday was our 17th wedding anniversary. I was silly on Facebook about how I actually don't like commitment and I'm thinking if we can make it another three years I may be able to commit to renewing our vows and having a ceremony that doesn't involved a courthouse basement break room smelling of burnt popcorn. If you don't remember, Randy and I eloped without telling anyone beforehand. The idea of an actual wedding ceremony in front of others on one hand seems very exciting and on the other hand uncomfortable and intense. I love celebrations and I love weddings but the idea of going through with a big wedding ceremony seems superficial and like a stage show. I am just like any other girl who dreams of the big beautiful wedding my whole life but it always just seems like a fantasy to dance with in my mind. It's easy to say I would renew vows in front of others when it is far into the future.
Randy bought me flowers for our anniversary and personally delivered them to me at work before we went to lunch at PF Changs.
The flowers actually look even more beautiful today because they are opening up. The flower truck delivered an hour before this arrangement was made so all the flowers are fresh. As a sidebar, I was a fresh cut flower buyer at Walmart for four years so I have more insight than the average person about the behind the scenes at flower shops and I was quite impressed with this arrangement. Randy bought me a similar arrangement after our first date when I was 17 years old so he thought it would be neat to give me the same arrangement at our 17th wedding anniversary. He is thoughtful that way. Getting flowers from Randy is very special because it doesn't happen consistently so they are always a surprise which makes it so much better, don't you think?
Earlier in the week we went to see David Sedaris at the Walton Arts Center and my sister Donna hung out with the boys. It was so nice to get out and do something grown up. David is such a good writer and his material is soooo funny!
Seventeen years. Sigh. I kind of feel old. Then I remember I was still in diapers when we eloped.





