The final week. I've been putting this off for several days. I don't want it to be over. I don't want to know the advice has exhausted itself on us. I still have the final disc to watch - the one for after you've completed the seven week training. I will miss James. Week seven seemed like a short lesson and one that is too difficult for an 8 year old to master. I listened a little frustrated knowing I've been doing everything he guides us to do but its too mature for an 8 year old. Adults have trouble with "The Trigger Management Process". I need someone to tell me if all my efforts will pay off in six months, six years or six decades.
Week Seven discusses identifying triggers for bad behavior, how to learn self control through constructive self-talk, coming up with a plan and implementing that plan. The goal is to avoid triggers that cause inappropriate behavior. We work on this daily but I can't be with our son 24 hours a day coaching him. Its the hours when he is in school that are the worst. His trigger IS school (technically not but it sure feels like it). I'm staring at our homework sheet at a loss for what to do. I'm taking it to our therapist tomorrow for advice.
So, there you have it. Seven weeks of precise advice on how to deal with difficult children and adolescents. I'm thrilled we have been through this program. I'm more confident in our efforts. I've made adjusts to my parenting style. Results are not overnight but I know I am better off now than seven weeks ago. I feel better armed for the next 10 years. I'm sure I will listen to the audios multiple times over the next few years.




