twitter


Week four of The Total Transformation Program is titled "27 Tools to Change Your Child's Behavior Now."  There was so much information we listened to the audio twice now and will listen to it a third time before the week is over.  Week four is one of the reasons I bought into the program. Real examples. Specific examples on how to mold behavior. James tells examples of do's and don'ts for how to discipline and speak to your child and in some cases not speak to your child.  The concepts of behavior management that he gives makes sense.  I wish I had been given some of these tools years ago. 

What makes this program difficult is that not only do I need to change my parenting style (which can have bumps in the road at times) to fit some of these concepts but I have to wait it out for the effectiveness to work long term.  It's tough not to get discouraged.  We had a rough weekend so it took a real effort on my part to get up today with a positive attitude about keeping at it. Effective discipline has been difficult for us.  We thought we might be using the wrong discipline but in reality we are using the right discipline ineffectively.

If I weren't so nervous about using the wrong tools I'd be able to tell you how excited I am to have 27 concepts to change behavior. One area I think we will be able to make the biggest impact is selective attention. James gives a great analogy on why our son acts out for attention even if the behavior is ignored. I was able to give our son's teacher some tips on how to handle some disruption from him in class. 

The workbook gives us note cards the size of a business card with each concept to keep with us.  The workbook gives us a list of consequences and rewards by age for children and adolescents to ensure we are being effective in that area as well.

We only have three more lessons to go and I feel like we are just getting started!

1 comments:

  1. Linda congratulations on your progress. It is so difficult to change our children's behavior, but sometimes more difficult to change our own. You and Randy have great dedication and I know the rewards will be great. Keep up the good work!!!!! Kim Tisdale